- Criminal Deterrence when there are Offsetting Risks: Traffic Cameras, Vehicular Accidents, and Public Safety
(with Paul J. Fisher), American Economic Journal: Economic Policy (2020), 12(3), 202-37.
- Online Appendix
- Download Stata Code and Datafiles
- Public Information Act Documentation
- Complete Texas Crash Records Information System (CRIS) vehicle accident data 2003-2009
- Media Coverage: American Economics Association Research Highlights, Berkeley Initiative for Transparency in the Social Sciences, The Conversation (republished by Houston Chronicle, Philly Voice, Scientific American), LSE American Politics and Policy Blog, Sound of Ideas (NPR, WCPN), Stateline (Pew Charitable Trusts), U.S. News & World Report.
- School Lunch Quality and Academic Performance (with Michael L. Anderson and Elizabeth Ramirez Ritchie), Journal of Public Economics (2018), 168, 81-93.
- Household Finance after a Natural Disaster: The Case of Hurricane Katrina (with Daniel Hartley), American Economic Journal: Economic Policy (2017), 9(3), 199-228.
- Learning About an Infrequent Event: Evidence from Flood Insurance Take-Up in the US, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics (2014), 6(3), 206-233.
- Does Hazardous Waste Matter? Evidence from the Housing Market and the Superfund Program (with Michael Greenstone), Quarterly Journal of Economics (2008), 123(3), 951-1003.
- Weathering an Unexpected Financial Shock: The Role of Federal Disaster Assistance on Household Finance and Business Survival (with Daniel Hartley and Shawn Rohlin), Revisions Requested by Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists
- Retrospective Voting and Natural Disasters that Cause No Damage: Accounting for the Selective Reporting of Weather Damage
Research in Progress
- Public Investment and Infrastructure Externalities: Evidence from Municipal Water Provision (with Francisca Richter)
- Supported by NSF grant 1638320
- Local Banking Institutions and Post-Disaster Recovery (with Daniel Hartley)
Additional Research Media Coverage
- School Lunch Project: NBC (WKYC), Radio Times (NPR, WHYY)
- Red Light Camera Project: ABC (Cleveland WEWS; picked up by Cedar Rapids KCRG, Pascagoula WLOX), CBS (Cleveland, WOIO; picked up by St. Louis WOIO), CBS Radio (Austin, KRLD), The Capital Forum (Vol. 7 No. 418), Daily Mail (Australia), Fox (Baltimore, 45), NPR (Akron, WKSU), NPR (St. Louis, MO)